Recognising and understanding a systemic process can exist for the generation of key initiatives, creative benchmarking, realising your market and what your organisational differentiators are apart from your competitors are all principal elements that will define a secure blueprint. A majority of Management entities generally want business to continually improve however it is regularly misunderstood that without fundamental analysis and honest questions being raised operations will remain stagnate or on the current trajectory thwarting the principal of continued improvement.
Many organisations that want to embrace change actively seek out Certification Bodies to investigate and assess current structures, however they often left frustrated with repetitive and expensive visits with limited upside or value for money. PRM can conduct a time efficient comprehensive review of your management system and provide professional planning advice to determine whether a structured ISO system would be a beneficial acquisition and investment.
9 Benefits of ISO Accreditation
Many organisations and leadership teams put thought into someday gaining an accredited system to improve performance for various reasons. A large majority do not understand the process or costs associated with obtaining a certification and therefore do not proceed beyond initial thought often lamenting it is time wasting, expensive or too much information/work is required.
There are a number of clear benefits for a business entity to seek formal certification including:
1. Maintaining a Distinct Strategic Advantage
Whatever your business function, the maintenance of a strategic advantage above threats and competitors is essential to business sustainability. In obtaining certification your organisation is clearly indicating to your competitors, customers and intended markets that your system is internationally recognised and audited to a standard which assures confidence.
2. Meeting and Exceeding Client or Customer Requirements
There is growing evidence that larger companies or organisations assessing the services of small to medium business are increasingly demonstrating a preference to engage certified companies in the pre-qualification phase for contract award rather than progress with an uncertified business. There is a general expectation that an externally audited and certified business will meet or exceed client or customer expectations and quite often it does.
3. Increasing Revenue and Business from New and Existing Customers
Enhanced business process with planned and sustained improvements can provide opportunities to enter new markets that may have been inaccessible before certification.
4. Improving Business and Product Quality
Know your product – know your service – know your customer. The reality is a certified business will make firm commitments and be obligated to continually improve as aligned to set international standards.
5. Improving Customer Satisfaction with your Services or Products
Frequent communication, customer feedback (negative and positive) and maintaining effective lines of communication with all stakeholders will ultimately shape self-realisation, innovation and business reputation.
6. Describing, Understanding, Communicating and Promoting Your Company Functions and Processes
Identification and description of your objectives, values, mission and processes will largely influence better management and control over the business function. Understanding what drives the business entity and the promotion at every opportunity will undoubtedly and positively increase exposure.
7. Developing a Professional Nurturing Culture and Increase Employee Morale
Implementing an accredited system can deliver:
- A sense of purpose to meet and exceed objectives
- Empowerment of employees to use initiative against clear expectations and set standards to continually improve process, product and the business function
- Improvement in communications and the tools to do the job efficiently and reliably through enhanced procedures and work instructions
- Prompt, actionable feedback on company and employee performance via audited process metrics used to monitor customer satisfaction and project delivery.
- An improved and mutually rewarding company culture and a more professional staff!
8. Improving Efficiency, Reducing Waste, and Saving Money
As your business processes improve and become more consistent the achievement of target objectives will occur with greater regularity and you will observe more tangible results:
- Waste is money or resources misused and lost forever.
- Waste results from poor quality and inefficiency.
- Inefficiency results from frequent internal variation, change fatigue and inconsistent processes.
- Reduction in internal variation or unnecessary change will improve consistency and will have less waste…and more profitability. It’s is really that simple!
9. Achieving International Recognition
ISO standardisation is worldwide standard administered by the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) based in Switzerland. For example ISO 9001 is currently in use by over one million organisations around the world and it is truly a world-wide standard for quality! Obtaining an ISO 9001 certification puts your company or business in a very select group.
Business Strategic Planning (Roadmaps to structure and success)
To ensure that your business has a suitable level of forward planning we have a number of organisational initiatives and templates that allows your Management Team to develop your own custom strategic agility, landscape, initiatives, drivers and insights to understand where your business is currently and where you would like it to progress next. Criteria for careful consideration in any forward planning phase will identify key inclusions that may form part of your business vision including;
Shareholder Value Growth and Profitability
Systems and Processes Resource Optimisation
Risk Business Resilience
People Talent and Culture
Customers and Markets Competitive Advantage
Products and Services Differentiation
Another highly valuable planning tool is the Segmented Marketing Template (SMT). The SMT will assist involved parties even further understand your product/service differentiators, marketing, ideal customers, value creation, processes and ongoing customer engagement strategies.
The Business Strategic Planning Phase is overall designed to provide an easy to follow set of agreed principles for Owners/Managers to make sound business decisions taking into consideration all aspects of a responsible and sustainable business culture.
Considering an ISO Standard?
Company Owners, Directors, Chief Executive Officers, Managing Directors, General and Operational Managers have all at some time during their careers considered the benefits and significant value of obtaining an ISO Certification. All have differing perceptions and have heard of stories of how difficult and time consuming it can be to obtain certification from an external auditing body. As a result the intention to commit then becomes a “one day” ambition rather than a priority to benefit business process stability and provide a blueprint for planning and measuring success.
PRM can provide professional assistance and advice with undergoing third party assessment and audit to the following standards:
- ISO 9001:2015 Quality Management Systems Standard
- ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management Systems Standard
- OHSAS 18001/AS4801 Occupational Health & Safety Standard
- ISO 27001:2013 Information Systems Security Standard
Which Standard Suits Your Business
That is entirely up to you! No two businesses or companies are exactly the same and they all have differing perceptions of where they are positioned within their marketspace. Successful business will always look to develop and maintain a competitive advantage to attract more frequent work, larger contracts or leverage longer term secure working arrangements.
A classic example may be a drilling or mining services contractor that may wish to provide services to a Tier 1 principal that is tendering for a significant ongoing Greenfields project. The prequalification process generally involves comprehensive submission of WHSE&Q documentation and assurances that services can be delivered safely, on time and on budget. The business previously had the foresight to realise that gaining a competitive advantage was essential to enable consistency with work opportunities and underwent third party auditing to obtain certification in ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management Systems. As this contractor was certified and recently audited it reduced the number of bidding tenderers and greatly increased the likelihood of contract award. Being a Greenfields development there was a strong preference by the Principal to engage a suitably qualified and responsible organisation.
Gap Analysis (ISO Suitability Assessments)
At PRM we can assist your business with a cost effective Gap Analysis or Standards Suitability Assessment to enable you to assess exactly where your current system is in comparison with the desired standard. Included in the Gap Analysis is;
- Comprehensive review of your current system to determine suitability and identify areas that may be inconsistent or potentially non-conforming
- Professional advice, mentoring and support during and after the review
- A fully detailed report and implementation plan with priority action items to expedite the certification process
Once the Gap Analysis is complete PRM can assist your organisation with strategic objectives planning, policy and procedural development, systems assurance and we can even negotiate a better deal with certification bodies on your behalf to ensure your process is efficient, hassle free and more importantly cost effective.
Copyright Prime Resource Management